Course Registration

You can register for classes online in a few quick steps:

1. Go to myBanner and log in using your G# and password
2. Select the Student tab > Registration
3. Select 'Add or Drop Classes'

Course registration can also be done in person at any of our Student Assistance Centers (Allendale, Grand Rapids Pew Campus, Muskegon, Holland, or the University Center in Traverse City).

How to Register for Classes

Check your degree progress using your myPath:

  • Login to myBanner,
  • Select the Student tab,
  • Select Student Records, then myPath.

Visit our myPath page for more information.

Electronic Overrides - If a course requires a registration permit, is closed or prevents registration based on major, class, prerequisite etc., students can request electronic overrides through myBanner.  Here is a list of registration error messages, their meanings and way to resolve them. Instructions for requesting a registration override through myBanner are available and an instructional video is also available. 

All decisions regarding registration overrides are made by the academic department that offers the course. This list provides contact information for our academic departments. After the request has been submitted, all communication regarding the status of the request is sent to the student's GVSU email address.  If the request is approved, the academic department will enter the electronic override into the Banner system, and the student is then able to register. The issuance of an electronic override does not automatically register you in the course. 

Linked Courses - When registering for a class that requires multiple pieces (lecture, discussion, lab), you must register for all the linked pieces simultaneously. Click on the section's course reference number (CRN) to determine which additional pieces are needed. If you do not register for all the required pieces or if you attempt to register for pieces that are not linked to one another, you will receive a 'LINK ERROR' message. If you perform an incomplete registration for a linked course and register for a lab only, your lab will be dropped.  Click here for instructions on how to swap lab sections without having to drop your lecture or discussion section.

Duplicate Registration - Students who register for the same class in multiple future semesters will be dropped from the class(es) for all subsequent terms.

Registration Status - Students are assigned a registration date within their myBanner that provides access to advanced registration. The registration statuses are typically placed on a student's account the week before advanced registration begins.

Financial hold - Contact Student Accounts at (616) 331-2209 to resolve your account balance and have the hold lifted.

Advisor Approval hold - Meet with your advisor to develop a class schedule. Obtain the signature of your advisor on a Registration Drop/Add Form and submit it to a Student Assistance Center to have the hold lifted.  Click here for a short video on how to locate your advisor in Banner. 

Page last modified November 1, 2017