Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
Liberal Studies majors are passionate doers and critical thinkers. No one course of study is the same, every student creates their own one-of-a-kind experience.
Students work closely with the more than 20 full-time faculty members to create their unique path towards a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.
- CORE: (18 credits) Build an interdisciplinary foundation of study rich in liberal education, ethics and critical thinking.
- AREA OF FOCUS: (18 credits) Investigate and engage in real world problems and solutions.
- ELECTIVES: (9 credits) Integrate courses with career goals.
- INTERNSHIP/PRACTICUM: (1-6 credits) Apply theory to life outside the classroom.
- CAPSTONE: (3 credits) Design thesis project connecting area of focus with a research question or problem.
Employers seek liberal studies graduates on the strength of their creativity, versatility, and critical thinking skills, across every sector of the workforce. Graduates can be found at:
- Apple Inc.
- Teach for America
- Heartside Ministries
- Americorps Farm to School
- Goodwill Industries
- Boys and Girls Club
- Trunk Club
- State of Michigan Urban Planning/Economic Development
Why Study Liberal Studies at Grand Valley?
- Students create an individualized course of study in partnership with their advisor, drawing from courses across the university, resulting in more than 300 majors.
- Many transfer courses count towards degree completion.
- Undergraduate research options: student-centered research and assisting professors in continuing research projects.
- Dual degree program with the University of Bio-Bio in Chile! Other study abroad opportunities may count towards a student's area of focus.
- Real-world work experience creates networking opportunities, resulting in job connections post-graduation.
- Students become proven leaders, working towards social justice in the world.
For More Information
Liberal Studies Program